Turner Broadcasting Director, CNN Digital Asia in Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Posting Job Title Director, CNN Digital Asia
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest Editorial
Hong Kong - Hong Kong
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
The dynamic CNN Digital team in Hong Kong is looking for a Director, CNN Digital Asia Pacific to oversee, direct and shape its Asia Pacific coverage. This is a role for an experienced and strong digital editorial leader who has a passion for the region and for news, outstanding editorial judgement and extensive experience in leading a strong team of journalists in a high pressure and fast-moving environment. Based in Hong Kong, the position reports to the Executive Editor, International and is collaborate closely with the Director, CNN Digital EMEA and Senior Editor, Programming. This role will help shape and communicate the editorial content strategy and lead the execution of that strategy in the region, coordinating with newsgathering and other digital teams globally to ensure accurate and fast breaking news coverage, the creation and execution of distinctive content and the programming of all content across CNN's Digital platforms during the Asia Pacific time zone.
The Director, CNN Digital APAC is responsible for meeting the region's audience traffic goals; driving innovation, contributing to growth strategies, identifying new opportunities, developing and executing effective and relevant social media strategies and further integration of television and digital newsgathering resources. The Director, CNN Digital APAC will partner with the Hong Kong Bureau Chief , CNN APAC Leadership and commercial teams on overall APAC strategy, and taking lead role in marketing and other representations of CNN Digital in the region.
- Responsible for overall direction of news editorial for Asia-Pacific including oversight of news-related production out of the region.
- Shape and commission of coverage, including breaking news, features and other distinctive content.
- Ensure strategic goals around editorial traffic, engagement and budgets are met on both short and long term bases.
- Lead a team of journalists in HK and oversee their work as well as being responsible for their career development
- Collaborate with colleagues from newsgathering to shape the network's coverage out of the region and ensure content is produced, optimized and delivered in an integrated way across platforms, with special focus on mobile first content.
- Ensure that editorial quality and standards are met and delivered across stories.
- Encourage innovation with a big emphasis on mobile, interactive, data visualization and social media production and engagement.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and stakeholders across the network to ensure that all relevant parties are well informed.
- At least 10-12 years of relevant working experience in the media, digital media or new industry
- Significant experience in managing and leading a regional or global digital editorial team
- Exceptional knowledge and understanding of global news with expertise in the Asia-Pacific region
- Strong editorial vision and drive and with proven expertise in digital editorial strategies
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in digital best practices, site and social programming
- Proven track record for creativity and innovation and the production of distinctive multi-platform content in coordination with multiple departments/teams
- Ability to juggle among priorities and execute against deadlines
- Experience with budgets and converting strategic goals into implementation
- Exceptional understanding of real-time and longer term metrics and how to use them for audience growth
- Creative, innovative and good at spotting and keeping up with emerging digital trends
- Fast, succinct and accurate written communication skills
- Fluency in English required, additional Asian language competencies high desired
- Capable of working across time zones and cross-culture
- Flexible and able to operate in a fast-changing and exciting environment
- Desire to make CNN innovative and distinctive
- Desire to work in and further develop a diverse working environment