Marriott Director, Accounting, Hong Kong in Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Posting Date Mar 05, 2018
Job Number 18000MYM
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region, Hong Kong, Hong Kong VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Director, Accounting – Hong Kong is the financial business leader for the Hong Kong administrative office. The position champions, develops and implements office wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the target customer, division leaders, department heads, office associates and MI Corporate. This position provides financial leadership for Hong Kong’s administrative offices, closely working with and supporting the Continent Tax and Entity functions and general administration.
The incumbent drives key finance initiatives to align execution and business results with MI strategy, creating strong internal controls which minimize risk and safeguard company assets.
Education and Experience
· Minimum 7 years’ experience in Accounting
· Knowledge of accounting principles preferred
· Demonstration of management accounting experience
· Experience managing teams preferred
· Ability to collect, analyze, and evaluate facts and to prepare and present concise oral and written reports
· Knowledge of Peoplesoft preferred
· Ability to establish and retain effective working relationships with external agencies, management and associates
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
· Multi-language capabilities considered a plus
· An ability to work unsupervised and manage time efficiently
· Qualified Management Accountant, and/or relevant degree equivalent
Attributes, Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrates exceptional organizational and prioritization skills; high performance levels under tight deadlines.
· Good business process skills; ensuring compliance with existing processes and producing quality results.
· Able to develop and maintain effective client relationships and promote a client service orientation that delivers customer results.
· Ability to work effectively in a collaborative work environment.
· Must be able to able to work in English.
· Ability to communicate effectively with associates on technical accounting and taxation issues.
· Ability to make decisions in a timely manner and under pressure. Comfort with challenging status quo to improve effectiveness.
· High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and integrity.
· Demonstrates an independent ability to research and analyze transactions and balances within a complex accounting system structure.
· Perform other related tasks as assigned by management
· Complies with Marriott International policies and procedures
· The position may involve travelling and overnight stays as appropriate to cover responsibilities
· Working hours are as required to do your job but normally not less than 40 hours per week. This may involve some weekend work.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
· Leads the execution of finance and accounting responsibilities for the continent office: budgeting and forecasting, control assessments, financial analysis, cash management, receivables and working capital management, balance sheet, financial reporting & systems, P&L, and CAPEX.
· Monitors and drives alignment between actual performance and budget and LRP for Net Admin and MI overhead entities and initiates necessary corrective actions and opportunities to leverage financial resources and achieve overall financial objectives.
· Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence department heads and to lead the office accounting team.
· Ensures Fixed Assets are properly set up and reconciled across Continent offices.
· Creates Peoplesoft vendor set-ups, approves invoices and releases payments for the administrative offices’ entities.
· Assists with queries for annual external audit of the office related MI entities.
· Oversees general administration accounting, payroll and administrative duties associates with the operation of and in support of the departments.
· Partners with department heads on all P&L related matters.
· Works with the HQ FBP group to ensure implementation of global financial processes related to Month End, Budgeting, Forecasting and Long Range Planning.
· Provides support to HQ departments with financial data who participate in Admin Accounting Support function.
· Looks for opportunities to refine processes, working files and systems.
· Participates in projects related to accounting for the Continent.
· Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
· Facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team.
· Ensures administrative office polices and processes are control focused and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
· Provides management and leadership over the accounting staff.
· Provides support to the VP Business Finance & Administration.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o General Finance and Accounting-The ability to apply knowledge of local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (local GAAP), current company accounting policies and procedures, general accounting and financial reporting, auditing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable practices to ensure property maintenance of business unit and/or company financial information.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.