Cigna Chief Underwriter in Wanchai, Hong Kong
The role of the Chief Underwriter is to oversee and develop the underwriting philosophy, guidelines, rules and risk tolerance for the Cigna Hong Kong Individual business.
They will have ultimate responsibility for the life and health medical underwriting risk ensuring that the Cigna Hong Kong underwriters are underwriting within the established framework, within Cigna’s agreed underwriting philosophy, the company’s strategic plan for profit and balancing risk with commercial decision making.
As well as overseeing the overall underwriting performance of the business the Chief Underwriter will also manage the team that underwrites the Hong Kong IPMI business and personally manage the Singapore Individual and Small group underwriting.
- Developed underwriting guidelines across all distribution channels which balance risk assessment with business growth.
- Ensure the assessment of applications for life and health insurance are processed consistently within agreed service levels, underwriting guidelines and underwriting authority thereby minimizing unfavourable exposure.
- Proactively participate in product development initiatives to provide underwriting expertise and risk assessment perspectives.
- Manage the team processing IPMI applications ensuring a high quality of decision making within agreed service levels.
- Assess the Singapore IPMI business and small group underwriting.
- Provide technical expertise and support relating to the automated underwriting system and associated functions by coordinating the underwriting rules sets for the system, testing, ongoing refinement and analysis.
- Ensure that the underwriters have technical training and development plans in place.
- Develop and maintain detailed product knowledge, technical underwriting knowledge and expertise. This will involve attending industry seminars, courses and workshops, obtaining and reading relevant literature, liaising with local networks and international peers and furthering education.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory guidelines and ensure compliance within the underwriting process.
- Contribute to an efficient and effective underwriting service by seeking and providing assistance to the team whenever required.
- Participate in relevant project work as when required.
- Undertake independent underwriting audits as required to ensure that Cigna’s Underwriting Philosophy is applied and input provided on areas of need if identified.
- Minimum 5 years insurance industry experience
- Minimum 4 years Medical Underwriting Experience
- Proven experience in leading and managing teams
- A relevant tertiary qualification would be preferred but is not essential.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal/telephone skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills.
- Problem solving and resolution skills
- Strong business sense.
- Advanced negotiation and influencing skills.
- Enthusiastic with a positive attitude.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Computer literacy.
Primary Location: Wanchai-Hong Kong
Work Locations: 28 Hennessy Road 15/F Wanchai
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Job Posting: May 11, 2017, 5:46:30 AM